Tour Bus Protocol at the Oval and Main Quad
Stanford University is private property and therefore has the legal authority to govern the operation of motor vehicles on campus, including tour buses. Blocking commercial loading zones, fire lanes and other red zones, is prohibited.
Please note that campus restrooms are NOT available for tour group use. The buildings in and around the Main Quad are offices and classrooms that are not open to the public. Smoking is prohibited.
Operators found in violation of Stanford parking policies and/or failing to adhere to its tour bus protocol will be cited and/or towed, may be banned from Stanford property, and may face legal action from the University.
- Tour/charter buses cannot stop at the Oval at any time.
- Tour groups cannot use campus restrooms.
- No smoking, congregating, or noise in and around the Main Quad.
- Policy violations are subject to citation, towing, tour bus/ operator ban from Stanford property, and legal action.
Rules governing tour or charter buses
- Tour or charter buses cannot stop or park on the Oval at any time. This restriction applies to all designated parking areas, commercial loading zones (yellow curbs); fire lanes and the Marguerite bus stop (red curbs).
- Tour and charter buses can only load/off-load passengers at the bus loading zone located on Roth Way between Palm Drive and Lomita Drive. Loading/off-loading on the Oval is prohibited without prior authorization from Parking & Transportation Services (P&TS).
- Fifteen (15) minute time limit for loading/off-loading passengers at the Roth Way bus location. Buses must relocate to Oak Road immediately after unloading passengers.
- Bus drivers must pay a fee to load/off-load passengers on Roth Way. The fee is $2.00 for up to ten (10) minutes or $3.00 for fifteen (15) minutes, no exceptions. Parking meters on Roth Way accept coins and most major credit cards. Parking is enforced and subject to citation.
- Free short and long term tour and charter bus parking is available ONLY in the designated bus parking areas along Oak Road between Stock Farm Road and Parking Structure 5, located on the west side of campus, as indicated on the Bus Parking and Loading Map (PDF).
- Free shuttle service available on campus. Stanford’s free Marguerite shuttle system is free and open to the public, providing shuttle service around campus and to nearby communities and transit. Refer to the "Event parking and Marguerite shuttle service" map.
Rules governing tour groups (tour bus operators are responsible)
- Restrooms on campus are NOT for tour group use. Please advise drivers to stop at public restrooms before arriving on campus.
- The buildings in and around the Main Quad are offices and classrooms. Please be respectful by keeping noise levels to a minimum, staying away from building entrances, not walking in the arcades, and not entering buildings.
- Do not congregate in large groups that block access to buildings or disrupt normal pedestrian, bicycle, or vehicular flow.
- Smoking is prohibited in and around all campus buildings, including the Main Quad.
Consequences of violating this policy
- Stopping, standing, or parking elsewhere besides the designated bus loading/parking areas on Roth Way or Oak Road without prior P&TS approval may result in citation or towing.
- Operators found in violation of Stanford parking policies and/or failing to adhere to its tour bus protocol will be cited and/or towed, or may be banned from Stanford property.
- Operators ignoring Stanford property rights may face legal action from the University.
Questions regarding this protocol or general tour bus access to Stanford can be directed to Parking & Transportation Services at 650.723.9362 or email@example.com. P&TS is open from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except university holidays.