Alternatives to Having a Car on Campus
Why pay hundreds of dollars a year on parking and pay even more to maintain and drive your own vehicle only occasionally? You could save significantly by reserving a vehicle only when you actually need one. Stanford offers free and discounted resources to help you go car free:
- EVGR Car Free Club. Get rewarded for not purchasing a monthly or long-term parking permit. Incentives may include Zipcar membership and credits, online delivery service credits, transit passes, and ride-hailing reimbursements.
- Zipcar at Stanford. On-demand car sharing is conveniently located on campus and lets you reserve a car online or by phone 24/7. With over 65 Zipcars on campus, this is one of the most convenient alternatives to driving your own car, and you receive Stanford discounts. [Map of Zipcars near Escondido Village]
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car on campus. The Enterprise Rent-A-Car branch on the Stanford Campus is located at Stock Farm Garage. Stanford residents can register for $10 weeknight rentals.
- Free Marguerite shuttle. Stanford's Marguerite shuttle is free and provides service around campus and to nearby shopping, dining, and entertainment. The service connects to the Palo Alto Caltrain station and the San Antonio Shopping Center.
- Bay Area transit services. Find schedules, maps, and other information for Bay Area transit service, including Caltrain, VTA, BART, and more.
- Thriving at Stanford [without a car] guide. Use this guide to find your way around the Bay Area, and you'll find you can thrive without a car.
- Airport shuttle services. Private shuttles provide service between San Jose, San Francisco, and Oakland airports and Stanford.
- Bicycle program. With Stanford’s mild climate, flat terrain, and over 13,000 bike parking spaces on campus, biking is a great way to get around. Stanford’s award-winning bicycle program can help get you ready to ride.
- Free trip planning services. Try our do-it-yourself commute plan/trip request, or ask us to create a custom transit and/or bike plan for you.
The introduction of new residential alternative transportation programs, including incentives, will coincide with the beginning of construction. In the months ahead, P&TS will announce details of new alternative transportation incentives for EV residents who do not buy a parking permit.