[Published Oct. 2017; Updated Jan. 2018]
We are pleased to announce that Stanford’s Go Pass program will transition to Clipper card starting in 2018. The move to Clipper is part of a Caltrain pilot program in which Stanford is participating.
What does this mean for you?
Transitioning the Go Pass to Clipper cards will make getting and replacing your Go Pass much more convenient. You don’t have to physically come to our office or a distribution event to request your pass.
How to get your 2018 Go Pass
You can request it online by entering your Clipper card number on our 2018 Go Pass request form. We will load your 2018 Go Pass and notify you when it is available.
If you are eligible for the VTA Eco Pass
Most benefits-eligible employees living off campus were issued a Clipper card with their VTA Eco Pass pre-loaded. If you are eligible for the Eco Pass, we recommend providing the number for your current Eco Pass Clipper card.
- To request a 2018 Go Pass, let us know the 10-digit serial number of your Clipper card by completing the 2018 Go Pass request form.
- If you need a VTA Eco Pass replacement, please submit your contact information on the 2018 Go Pass request form and we will contact you for next steps.
You can check your Go Pass and Eco Pass status on our Go Pass/Eco Pass eligibility checker.
If you are NOT eligible for the VTA Eco Pass (i.e., graduate students and postdoctoral scholars):
You can check your Go Pass status on our Go Pass eligibility checker.
- To request a 2018 Go Pass, let us know the 10-digit serial number of you Clipper card by completing the 2018 Go Pass request form.
- If you do not already have a Clipper card, you can purchase an adult fare card through retail or other outlets, such as Walgreens and Whole Foods locations listed for $3. Please note that Senior, Youth, and RTC/ Disabled Clipper cards cannot receive this pass.
Expect communications from our office
We will be providing more information on the Go Pass transition to Clipper in upcoming communications.
We will be fulfilling Go Pass request submissions in December, and will let you know when the Go Pass has been added to your Clipper card. If you are not notified by Dec. 19, 2017, please contact our office at email@example.com or 650.736.9923.
Note: The P&TS office will be closed for the university’s winter closure Dec. 23, 2017, through Jan. 7, 2018. You must submit your Go Pass request by Monday, Dec. 15, 2017, in order to receive your 2018 Go Pass before Jan. 1, 2018.
Make sure your address is updated
To be eligible, your address must contain an eligible ZIP Code outside Stanford property and within a reasonable daily commuting distance. Please make sure your address is updated in the appropriate database 24 to 48 hours before requesting your 2018 Go Pass.
- University employees: StanfordYou
- Stanford Health Care employees: eConnect
- Stanford Children's Health employees: Access HR
- Graduate students and postdoctoral scholars: Axess (Note: we are only able to accept the “Stanford (local)” or “SEVIS (US)” addresses. Please refer to our page on updating your address for more information)
How to use your Go Pass when it's on Clipper
Go Pass users should note that the Go Pass will work differently on the Clipper card than it has on ID cards and badges. You must now tag on and off with your Clipper card for every trip. Otherwise, a conductor will not be able to verify that you have a valid Go Pass. Refer to Caltrain's "How to Use Clipper" page for details.
It may be helpful to refer to our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page to learn more about the 2018 Go Pass on Clipper card pilot program.
In lieu of our traditional Go Pass distribution events, P&TS will be holding informational events at various locations to answer questions about the Go Pass transition to Clipper.
For more information on informational events, including a schedule, please refer to our recent article.