Which Permit Is Right For You?
How long do you need to park?
Choose between 'Short-term/Daily' or 'Long-term/Commuter' permit options according to your needs:
- One to five days per month
Purchase a 'Short-term/Daily' permit for each day's date.
- Six days or more per month
You could save money by purchasing a 'Long-term/Commuter' permit instead of many 'Short-term/Daily' permits. Refer to the Permit Prices table to calculate short-term vs. long-term permit costs.
- Weeks or months
Purchase a 'Long-term/Commuter' permit, specifying its start and end month(s).
Where do you need to park?
Stanford affiliated or sponsored commuters may park in 'A,' 'C,' or 'Z' parking zones with the purchase of an 'A,' 'C,' or 'Z' permit. A limit of one permit type per customer applies. Commuters are not allowed to purchase Resident zone permits.
An 'A' permit is also valid in 'C' and 'Z' parking zones (except Hoover Pavilion Garage). 'C' permits are also valid in 'Z' parking zones when shared signage is present. 'Z' permits are valid in Searsville Lot (L-22), Level 4 of the Stock Farm Garage, and Hoover Pavilion Garage near the medical center.
Pricing is based on location and convenience (See the Parking and Circulation Map for the locations of these areas):
- 'A' spaces
- 'A' permits cost more, but are closest to buildings and generally offer greater availability throughout campus.
- They also allow you to park in 'C' and 'Z' spaces (except Hoover Pavilion Garage).
- If you frequently need to use your car during the day for travel around campus or return trips to off-campus sites, consider an 'A' permit.
- 'C' and 'Z' spaces
- 'C' and 'Z' spaces provide parking at a lower cost, but are in higher demand and generally located a greater distance from buildings and the center of campus.
- If you purchase a 'C' or 'Z' permit, expect to walk or bike some distance, or take a free Marguerite shuttle, to/from your workplace/classroom/lab and expect such spaces to fill by mid-morning close to buildings with higher demand.
- Carpool spaces
- Carpool spots are reserved for carpoolers and vanpoolers until 10 a.m.
- After 10 a.m., 'A' permit holders can park in the 'A' and 'C' carpool spaces, and 'C' permit holders can park in the 'C' carpool spaces.
- Motorcycles, scooters and mopeds
- All motorcycles, scooters and mopeds need a permit.
- They may be parked in lower-priced "Motorcycle" spaces (with the purchase of an 'MC,' 'A,' 'C,' or 'Z' permit) or in higher-priced 'A,' 'C,' or 'Z' spaces (with the purchase of an 'A,' 'C,' or 'Z' permit).
- Do not park them in bike racks.
Stanford Redwood City parking
Stanford affiliated or sponsored commuters will be able to park in SRWC ‘C’ parking zones with the purchase of a 'C-SRWC' permit. The cost to purchase a permit will be equivalent to the price of a ‘C’ permit on main campus.
All motorcycles, scooters and mopeds at SRWC need a parking permit. They may be parked at either SRWC-“Motorcycles” spaces or ‘C-SRWC’ spaces.
Off-campus work site parking
- Most off-campus hospital worksites do not require permits.
- Learn about parking and other options at the Porter Drive work site.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. or call 650.736.8000 for information on specific off-site locations.
Instead of displaying a physical parking permit, your license plate is your virtual permit. Use our online system to purchase, exchange, or return virtual permits. Your permit will be valid immediately after you purchase it and enter your vehicle information.