Request Commute Planning Assistance
Want to try alternative transportation but not sure how to begin? We can help.
Find your transit and/or bike options by choosing from our free do-it-yourself planning tool or custom commute plan request, where we'll identify sustainable options for you.
Plan your trip to and from Stanford
It’s quick and easy to plan your trip using Google Maps’ trip planning resource.
- Enter your addresses in the following fields.
- After clicking “Plan trip,” you’ll go to Google Maps, where you have the option to input your arrival or departure dates and times, and select preferred modes of transportation.
- If you are able to drive to your transit connection, enter the transit stop (such as Caltrain, BART, SamTrans, or VTA) near you as your starting point. This could significantly reduce your estimated overall trip time.
Custom Commute Plan for Stanford affiliates
If you are affiliated with Stanford, we can help plan your commute or one-time trip.
- Visit our Stanford Commute or Trip Planning Request page to request commute planning assistance.
- Please be aware that custom commute or trip plans may take up to two weeks to create.
Here are some additional resources that you might find helpful in planning your commute:
- FEMA Commuter Emergency Plan (PDF, 88 KB): Prepare your alternative options and print this form to have it available in the event of an emergency.
- 511.org Transit Trip Planner: Includes options to customize your trip to your specific preferences, such as transit agencies and walking distance. The Stanford Marguerite shuttle is included as an option on the 511 Transit Trip Planner.
- 511 BikeMapper: Plan your bike trip with the latest bike route information.
- Visit our Transit section for information on local transit agencies.
- Bay Area Transit Map (PDF, 1 MB): Learn how you can connect to Stanford using transit.
- Access local and regional bicycle route maps on our Bicycling at Stanford page.
- Stanford HIP Classes: The Stanford Health Improvement Program (HIP) offers classes and counseling for those interested in trying alternative transportation.