Commuter and resident parking
- ‘A’, ‘C,’ and ‘shared’ resident/commuter lots are enforced Monday-Friday, 6 a.m. to 4 p.m., unless otherwise posted. This includes commuter parking at Stanford Redwood City.
- ‘A’ parking at the Oval is enforced Monday-Friday, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Resident student lots are enforced 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- ‘ES’ / ‘C’ shared parking in Quillen Ct., McFarland Ct., Jenkins Ct., and Hulme Ct. and adjacent sections of Olmsted Rd. is enforced 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Meters are enforced 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., unless otherwise posted.
- Visitor parking at Beckman Center / Li Ka Shing Center parking lot L-15 is enforced Monday-Friday, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Meters at Lyman visitor lot (between Lyman Graduate Residences and Sterling Quad) are enforced 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Parking tickets range from $41 for a permit violation to $753 for illegally parking in a disabled space.
- Citations are issued by Stanford’s Department of Public Safety and SP+. P&TS does not administer and cannot change parking citations. Pay or appeal a parking ticket.
If people are parking in your lot who shouldn't be, request enforcement by calling the Stanford police dispatch office at 650.329.2413.
Observe the signs
Before you park, check the signs at the entrance to the lot. Note that many of our lots are "shared" between resident students and commuters. These lots may be marked, for example, "South Residences" or ‘C’. You can park in such a lot with either a ‘C’ or a "South Residences" permit.
Park only in marked spaces
Never park on unposted dirt, grass or along undesignated roadsides. If an area is not specifically marked for parking, assume you may not park there.
Stanford's parking regulations require that car owners keep their license plates visible so the parking enforcement officer can see them. We also require the license plate number and permit number be written on the windshield portion of your car cover using permanent marker.
With these options, parking enforcement officers can verify if a car that is covered has a valid permit.
The police may tow any vehicle abandoned on campus or stored in a commuter lot for more than 72 hours without special permission. Storage and towing is at owner's expense.
Parking & Transportation Services does not issue or dismiss parking citations. We only issue parking permits.
Parking citations are issued in University commuter and resident lots and in Stanford residential areas by the Stanford Department of Public Safety (a division of the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Department).
Parking enforcement in Hospital/Medical areas is managed by SP+.
Refer to Appeal a Parking Ticket for information about appealing a citation.
For questions about enforcement, please contact Parking Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org or 650.723.9362.
Violations of P&TS policies
Anyone found to be in violation of the Commute Club and/or parking permit policies set forth by Parking & Transportation Services (P&TS) is subject to revocation of transportation incentives and/or parking privileges. Instances of egregious misconduct may result in further administrative, disciplinary, and/or legal action, up to and including termination of employment or expulsion.
Tour bus operators found in violation of Stanford parking policies and/or failing to adhere to its tour bus protocol will be cited and/or towed, or may be banned from Stanford property. Operators ignoring Stanford property rights may face legal action from the University.
Limited holiday parking permit enforcement
During university holidays, parking permit enforcement is suspended in all ‘C’ parking lots, all visitor/meter spaces, and in most ‘A’ lots, with the exception of parking facilities serving the hospital and School of Medicine. ‘A’ permit parking, visitor/meter spaces, Service/University Vehicle spaces, and timed loading zones/spaces are enforced during the university holidays in these lots (list is subject to change; please check back for updates):
Hoover Pavilion Lot (L-1A)
Hoover Pavilion Lot South (L-1)
Quarry Lot (L-2)
Quarry Extension Lot (L-9)
Beckman/LKSC visitor Lot (L-15)
MSOB Lot (L-16)
Stock Farm Lot North (L-18)
Roth Way Garage (Campus Drive and Roth Way)
- Additional areas may be announced closer to the holiday
Parking will be enforced 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in residential lots (except shared lots) and special zones, such as disabled parking, red zones, fire lanes, and special-permit-only spaces.
For parking locations, refer to the Parking and Circulation Map.
This information is subject to change. Visit our Latest News page close to each holiday for the most current information.