Reduce Peak Hour Trips at Stanford
There are an increasing number of events at Stanford with hundreds or even thousands of event attendees on any given day. Try to avoid scheduling event arrivals between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. and departures between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m.
Events Can Affect Peak-Trips at Stanford
Event traffic makes it challenging for Stanford to meet its obligations to reduce peak-hour vehicle trips under its General Use Permit (PDF) with the County of Santa Clara.
As an event planner, you can help reduce peak-hour event trips in a number of ways:
- Schedule events outside of peak arrival times (8 a.m. to 9 a.m.) and peak departure times (5 p.m. to 6 p.m.) on weekdays.
- If you can’t avoid peak-trip arrivals and departures, consider offering a reception or activity that could encourage some attendees to arrive or depart outside of the peak-commute times.
- Suggest alternative transportation options for your event attendees.
- Consider reserving a shuttle through Stanford Charter Services to transport your attendees to and from your campus event.
- Have event attendees pay their own parking fee rather than offer free parking at Stanford. Refer to the Galvez Lot Parking Guidelines (PDF) for details regarding payment options.
In addition to helping Stanford comply with the GUP, you also will be improving the experience for your event attendees by reducing traffic they will encounter when attending your event. Learn more in the “Stanford Events and Peak-Hour Trips” section of our website.