Everyone needs a permit to park at Stanford.
Department permits: As of June 20, 2019, departments can also buy daily virtual permits via Stanford Transportation’s online portal. Departments should designate two or more department contacts to manage department parking permits through our online form. To order department long-term permits, please fill out the Department/Vendor Permit Order Form. Please make sure that you register as a department contact before ordering by filling out our Department Contact Form.
Vendor permits: Please fill out the Department/Vendor Permit Order Form.
Contractor permits: Please fill out the Contractor Permit Order Form.
Group/reserved event permits: Please fill out the Event Permit Order Form.
All requests will be reviewed for eligibility based on need.
Department sponsorship is required for Service Vehicle and "A"-Business permits (daily and long-term): Non-Stanford entities must submit a Department Sponsorship request to establish affiliation with a university department or on-campus organization. Refer to our step-by-step "How To" page for more information on requesting department sponsorship
Service & Delivery Permits
Prices valid through Aug. 31, 2020
|Duration||"A-Business" ||Service Vehicle|
 All departments and sponsored affiliates purchasing permits for business purposes must purchase ‘A-Business’ permits.
Prices for 12-month permits are prorated monthly from October and reflected in our pricing chart.
All departments, on-campus organizations and sponsored affiliates purchasing permits for business purposes must purchase 'A-Business' or Service Vehicle permits.
- The Parking and Circulation / Campus Map shows where each permit type is valid.
This permit allows you to park in 'A' and 'C' spaces in regular commuter lots (except 'Carpool Permit Only' spaces before 10 a.m.). Permit requests will be reviewed for approval by Stanford Transportation. See the Parking and Circulation Map for the locations of these areas.
Parking for vendors
Vendor parking is available to businesses that have contracts or agreements with the university to provide services or goods for a specific time period.
Businesses have the following parking options:
- Employee pays for his or her own parking.
- Employee list is required: If employees will be purchasing their own permits, the company is required to provide Stanford Transportation with a list of all employee names and the length of their contract before our office will sell a parking permit to the employees.
- Permit type and payment options: The employee has the option to purchase an 'A' or 'C' permit if affiliated with the university or 'Z' permit if affiliated with the hospitals. Payment can be made either through a one-time payment (with cash or Visa/Mastercard/Discover credit card) or with recurring monthly deductions (from a debit or credit card).
- Deliveries. If the company is making deliveries and has a commercial license plate, the delivery driver may park in loading and unloading zones for up to 20 minutes, or as marked. Refer to the Loading Zones map.
To request a vendor parking permit, please fill out the Department/Vendor Permit Order Form.
Service Vehicle Permits
These permits allow you to park in any 'A' or 'C' space (except 'Carpool Permit Only' spaces before 10 a.m.), metered spaces, visitor parking areas, residential permit spaces, and special 'Service Vehicle' spaces adjacent to the Pedestrian Zone. They are NOT valid in spaces marked 'Special Area Permit.' If approved, you may also be granted access to the Pedestrian Zone (PZ).
Where NOT to park
Never park at red curbs, in fire lanes, or on anything that isn't asphalt (this includes dirt, concrete sidewalks, grass, and mulch). Your vehicle may be cited and towed if you park in these areas.
Loading and Unloading
No permit is required to load or unload at any marked loading area, except within the Pedestrian Zone. Do not leave your vehicle unattended for more than 10 minutes (or as marked), or you may be cited.
Government and University Vehicles
- Government vehicles with 'E' (exempt) plates, may park in 'A,' 'C,' or 'Service Vehicle' spaces without a permit. If your government vehicle is not identified as such, call Stanford Transportation at 650.723.9362.
- University or other department-owned vehicles with the University Seal on the side may park in 'A,' 'C,' 'Service Vehicle,' or 'University Vehicle' spaces without a permit. University vehicles without the University Seal are entitled to a free Vendor Service Vehicle permit (with vehicle registration provided). All vehicles must observe posted parking time limits as applicable.
The Pedestrian Zone
Stanford University's central Pedestrian Zone (PZ) has been established to create a safer central campus for pedestrians and cyclists, preserve facilities, and minimize the disruption of university activities through the elimination of unnecessary vehicular traffic. All vehicles (including motorized carts) require authorization prior to accessing the PZ and must display the appropriate PZ permit while moving through or parking in the PZ.
Please see the Pedestrian Zone Access Protocol for details about applying for PZ access privileges.
Special Services for Contractors
All parking arrangements for construction, renovation or other university-sponsored projects must be made by the general contractor, in conjunction with the Stanford Project Manager, and adhere to the following Stanford University Land and Buildings policies:
- Contractor Parking for Construction Projects
- Construction Project Temporary Facilities Siting Policy
Prior to the start of the project, the Project Manager and general contractor will need to submit the following materials to Stanford Transportation:
- The proposed site logistics and parking plan for the entire work crew (including subcontractors)
- A Contractor Parking Permit Sponsorship application
Contact us at 650.723.9362 or send an email to email@example.com to make parking arrangements for your project.
To remove a lockable bollard, your Stanford project manager should submit an online Building & Grounds Maintenance Work Request at bgm.stanford.edu with attention to Grounds Landscape Services. In the request, identify the location of the bollard you need removed, the dates and times for removal and replacement, the reason it must be removed, a university (PTA) account number to which the work should be charged, and, finally, a contact name and phone number.
Please allow five days for the request to be processed. If your request is more urgent than that, your Stanford project manager can contact the LBRE Operations Team at 650.723.2281 to request expedited processing of your request and to confirm that Grounds Landscape Services will be able to accommodate your request on short notice.
Your request is also subject to approval from Stanford Transportation if the bollard is an access point into the core campus (or 'Pedestrian Zone'). If your bollard removal request is not accepted, you will be contacted to discuss alternatives. If you do not already have 'Pedestrian Zone' permits on your vehicles, please fill out a Pedestrian Zone Access / Permit Application to formalize your request and submit it to Stanford Transportation Parking Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org. Pedestrian Zone permits must be displayed on all vehicles present in the Pedestrian Zone 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
If you need to make special circulation or parking arrangements for your project or unique situation, send an email to email@example.com or call 650.723.9362.