Pedestrian Zone Access
Pedestrian Zone Access Protocol
Stanford University's central Pedestrian Zone (PZ) has been established to create a safer central campus for pedestrians and cyclists, preserve facilities, and minimize the disruption of university activities through the elimination of unnecessary vehicular traffic. All vehicles (including motorized carts) require authorization prior to accessing the PZ and must display the appropriate PZ permit while moving through or parking in the PZ. View PZ Access Map (PDF).
Points of Entry
Authorized vehicle access to the Pedestrian Zone is managed by Stanford Transportation.
There are three controlled gate entrances to the pedestrian zone, each of which governs access to a certain set of buildings. Stanford Transportation can provide access through the Duena (#1) and/ or (#2) CERAS gates, utilizing Stanford ID cards or short-term keypad combinations.
There are pneumatic bollards located at various locations around the Pedestrian Zone. Access past these bollards must also be obtained through Stanford Transportation. Anyone who operates a bollard remote control device is required to view the bollard safety training video.
- Only authorized vehicles are permitted to access the Pedestrian Zone.
- Vehicles not displaying a valid PZ or SV permit are subject to citation and/or towing.
- Vehicular access and parking permits are granted / provided by Stanford Transportation.
- All vehicles (including university vehicles) must observe the posted parking time limits.
- University vehicles marked with the Stanford seal on the side should display a valid Service Vehicle permit and/or a PZ permit to park within the Pedestrian Zone.
- Departments housed in the PZ may receive one free Pedestrian Zone Loading/Unloading permit. These permits allow 20-minute parking within the zone for loading/unloading purposes only.
- "After Hours Pedestrian Zone" permits are good after 4 p.m. and on weekends, when longer stays are okay, and are available to any department located within the Pedestrian Zone.
Permits needed during business and non-business hours
During business hours (M-F, 6 a.m.- 4 p.m.), you'll need one of the following:
- A Service Vehicle permit with a Pedestrian Zone Identifier: We sell virtual (non-physical) Service Vehicle permits linked to your vehicle license plate. The Pedestrian Zone Identifier placard is issued at the discretion of Stanford Transportation. Make sure to display it prominently on your dash or front windshield (driver’s side, lower corner).
- A Pedestrian Zone Loading/Unloading permit: These placards are issued by Stanford Transportation and must be displayed on your rear view mirror or dashboard.
During non-business hours (after 4 p.m. and on weekends), you'll need a PZ After-Hours permit.
Access through gates
Upon PZ access approval, Stanford Transportation can grant access through the Duena and/or CERAS gates by programming your valid SUID card, issuing you a temporary SUID card, or providing you a keypad combination for the gate. There is a $15.00 fee for each temporary SUID card issued. If you lose your gate card, you must pay to have it replaced.
If you need regular access and have an annual Service Vehicle permit or PZ Loading/Unloading permit, request card access from Stanford Transportation. If you need only a limited number of entries to the PZ, ask Stanford Transportation for a keypad combination that will be valid for the dates and number of entries needed.
Vehicles authorized to access the Pedestrian Zone include the following:
- emergency service vehicles
- delivery vehicles (where close proximity to the Main Quad is required)
- maintenance vehicles (where the vehicle is required for maintenance)
- construction (including off-campus maintenance contractor) vehicles, when other options are not feasible
- vehicles actively supporting set-up or take-down of events and activities
All vehicles other than emergency service vehicles must obtain prior approval from Stanford Transportation.
Vehicles making deliveries in the ordinary course of business to buildings in the PZ can utilize loading zones accessible via public access roads around the Main Quad, including the top of the Oval and on Santa Teresa by Tresidder Union. See Stanford University's PZ Access Map (PDF) and / or the Service and Delivery Map (PDF) for loading zones and service vehicle (SV) parking.
Traveling in the Pedestrian Zone
- Notice the service routes marked by dashed lines on the Service and Delivery Map (PDF) and the PZ Access Map. These give you access to the loading docks/zones of most buildings in the Zone. Stay on these routes.
- Always remember when driving in the PZ that you are a guest. Bicyclists and pedestrians always have right-of-way, and they may behave unpredictably. You should travel at their speed (10 mph maximum).
- Do not drive through the White Plaza/Lasuen Mall/Lomita Mall areas during business hours. These areas are highly congested with pedestrians and cyclists.
- Never drive into the historic Inner Quad Courtyard or arcades; vehicle access is absolutely prohibited.
- No service traffic is allowed on Jane Stanford Way, except to service the street itself. One-time access can be arranged by calling 650.723.9362 or sending an email to email@example.com.
Parking in the Pedestrian Zone
Always observe posted parking time limits. Whenever possible, park in a marked space, or at the loading dock of your destination building. If there are no marked spaces available, park off to the side - staying on the pavement - away from circulation routes, bike racks and landscaping. There is no front door parking at most buildings...expect to walk.
For authorized, non-emergency vehicle access to the Pedestrian Zone, the following steps must be taken:
For ongoing deliveries:
- Download the Pedestrian Zone Access/Permit Application from the application forms page.
- Fill out the form completely, obtain the necessary signatures, and submit your signed application to Stanford Transportation (650.723.9362).
- You will be notified when your application has been reviewed.
For special deliveries:
- Contact Stanford Transportation (650.723.9362) or email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org with details in order to obtain special access.
- Contact your Stanford Zone Manager to request their written approval.
- With your approved Pedestrian Zone Access/Permit Application in hand, contact Stanford Transportation (650.723.9362) to request access.
For construction vehicles (including off-campus maintenance contractors):
- Contact your Stanford project manager to request written approval
- With approved Pedestrian Zone Access/Permit Application in hand, contact Stanford Transportation (650.723.9362) to request temporary access.
- To request a loan of a remote control for opening a pneumatic bollard ($50 deposit required) from Stanford Transportation - you must also provide a completed Pedestrian Zone Access/Permit Application
- Agree to follow the Stanford University Traffic and Parking Code (PDF, 255 KB), especially sections 2.2 on Speed Limits, 2.3 on Pedestrian and Restricted Access Zones and 3.4 on Alleys, Fire Lanes and Landscaped Areas.
- Agree to return the pneumatic bollard remote control, if applicable (any deposit will be returned, unless the remote control is returned in a damaged condition).
- Understand that any remote control that is not returned will be disabled so that it will no longer function.
How to get your application(s) back to us
- U.S. mail: Stanford Transportation, Stanford University, 415 Broadway, 3rd Floor, Redwood City, CA 94063-8877
- Fax: 650.724.8676