Appeal a Parking Ticket
Procedure for contesting parking ticket:
Below you can find out how to appeal a parking citation based on the jurisdiction in which you received the citation.
- Issued at Stanford University’s main campus. These citations are issued in Santa Clara County by Stanford’s Department of Public Service (citations on university grounds)
- Issued on Stanford property in Palo Alto or at Stanford Redwood City. These citations are issued by SP+ (citations at Stanford Redwood City, Hoover Pavilion Garage, Hoover Pavilion Lot, and 780/800 Welch Road).
Santa Clara County (citations on Stanford University grounds)
If you wish to appeal a parking citation you must request an administrative review within these deadlines:
- Within twenty one (21) days of the date of issuance of the citation,
- OR -
- Within fourteen (14) days from the date of the mailing of the Notice Delinquent Violation.
If you do not make your request within this period of time, the law specifies that you lose your right to appeal the citation.
Please note: The appeal procedure can only be pursued by the person who received the parking citation.
You may appeal your parking citation in one of three ways:
- Online at Citation Processing Center (recommended). This interactive website will guide you through the necessary steps to submit citation reviews or appeals.
- Contact the Santa Clara County Office of Parking Violations at 1-800-989-2058.
- Complete and submit the form titled Request for a Parking Citation Administrative Review (PDF, 350 KB). This form is also available at Stanford’s Department of Public Safety at 711 Serra Street.
Submit the completed form along with these documents:
- A photocopy of the citation,
- A screenshot (for virtual permit holders) or photocopy (for departments and vendors) of your current parking permit, and
- Any supporting documentation
Submit documents through one of these options:
- Fax: (650) 725-8485
- U.S. Mail: Stanford Department of Public Safety, 711 Serra St., Stanford, CA 94305, or
Office of Parking Violations, P.O. Box 849, San Jose, CA 95106-0849
- In person: Stanford Department of Public Safety at 711 Serra Street
To ensure that your appeal is received in a timely fashion, it is recommended that you send it certified U.S. mail, return receipt requested.
Stanford Redwood City and Stanford in Palo Alto (citations at Stanford Redwood City, Hoover Pavilion Garage, Hoover Pavilion Lot, and 780/800 Welch Road)
If you wish to appeal a parking citation you must request an administrative review from SP+ within 21 days of the citation’s date of issuance.
Appeals must be postmarked by the 21st day of its issuance, or the appeal will NOT be accepted.
To submit an appeal, visit pticket.com/Stanford and click “Contest online.”
For more information about how the appeal process works, visit Citation Appeal Information.
To pay a parking ticket, visit the Pay a Parking Ticket webpage.