Start or Join a Carpool
Carpool parking is free! Share the ride and the savings.
Please note: All official members of a carpool or vanpool must work/study on the same campus (either at main campus or SRWC). For example, if you currently are in a two-person carpool and one person is on main campus and one is at Stanford Redwood City, you would no longer be eligible for a two-person carpool permit.
How the Carpool Program Works
Two-person carpools are eligible for a free 'C'-Carpool permit. Those who prefer to have 'A' carpool permits will have to pay the difference in price between the 'C' and 'A' permit.
Carpools of three or more are eligible for a free 'A'-Carpool permit. This enables them to park in an 'A'-Carpool, 'A,' and 'C' permit spaces (except at Hoover Pavilion Garage).
If your carpool grows from a two-person carpool to a carpool of three or more, you will need to cancel your two-person carpool group and start a new carpool group to get your free 'A'-Carpool permit.
Employees Commuting to SRWC
Eligible commuters who sign up for carpool are eligible for a free 'C-SRWC' Carpool permit and become a Commute Club member. Your SRWC permit will also be valid on main campus. SRWC carpool permits will work the same way they do on the main campus.
- If you have two carpool members, you will qualify for a free 'C-SRWC' Carpool permit. Note: when ordering your permit, please choose a 'C-SRWC' Carpool permit instead of a main campus 'C'-Carpool permit.
- If you have three or more members, you are eligible for a free 'C-SRWC Carpool' permit or a free ‘A’-Carpool permit. Even though there is no ‘A’ parking permit at SRWC, the ‘A’-Carpool permit will be valid in ‘A’ spaces for times when you visit the main campus.
As a rule, we ask that you use carpool spaces only when you actually carpool to those destinations. For example, if you drive alone to the main campus, please park in an ‘A’ or ‘C’ permit space based on your permit type, rather than parking in a carpool space (unless it is after 10 a.m., when carpool spaces are available to all corresponding permit holders).
If you have questions about SRWC, visit our SRWC Parking & Transportation FAQ.
Please send an email to the Commute Club if you have questions or need assistance.
Forming Your Carpool
Visit our Ridematching page to find Stanford affiliates to share your commute. There are a number of options you can consider to recruit riders.
- Post your carpool on Scoop on specific days you have seats available or would like to ride. Scoop is a public app, which offers flexible carpooling and includes Stanford subsidies. Drivers receive as much as $12 per trip--or more with each additional rider. Rides start as low as $1 a trip.
- Visit Stanford's Carpool and Vanpool Listings page to find other Stanford affiliates to share your commute.This page is designed to enable carpool and vanpool groups to recruit new riders. You can post and filter by origin and worksite, including SRWC! This is a Stanford-only options that functions as a ride posting board.
- Post your carpool on the Stanford Staffers or Staffers Village email listservs.
If you have questions about ridematching, or if these options don't lead to a match for you, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We may be able to help identify other alternatives available to you, such as transit and/or biking.
Applying for a Carpool Permit
To get started:
- Check the eligibility of each potential carpool member.
- Create your carpool group in our online portal.
- Apply for a carpool permit using our online portal.
Please refer to the following “how to” pages for step-by-step instructions on how to form your carpool and request a parking permit:
- How to Start a Carpool
- How to Join an Existing Carpool
- How to Request a Carpool Permit
- How to Add or Update License Plate Information to Your Account
Each member must enter their information on our online portal when forming the carpool group. Your permit will be valid as soon as you complete the request for your carpool permit.
Entering License Plate Information
Sharing your carpool permit between vehicles
You can associate multiple vehicles with your carpool permit so that you and your carpool partner(s) can take turns driving. For step-by-step instructions, please refer to our How to Associate Vehicle Information with an Existing Permit page.
Please note that only one vehicle may be parked on campus at a time for each permit. This means that only one vehicle can use the carpool permit on days when you and your carpool partner(s) drive separately to campus. The other drivers will need to purchase a daily parking permit.
Switching or sharing vehicles between permits
Each vehicle can only be on one user's account at a time, which means that each license plate can only be entered in the system once. All subsequent attempts will be blocked. This ensures that another person cannot use your license plate and parking permit without your knowledge.
Same-household commuters can drive each others' vehicles without switching permits, as long as each vehicle has a valid permit. If each household member has a different vehicle and different permit type ('A' or 'C' permit, for example), you will need to keep note of which permit type is registered for each vehicle and park in the correct parking space to avoid citation.
In situations where you do want to switch permits for one or more vehicles, each of you would need to remove your vehicle license plates from your account before the other person may add the vehicle's license plate to their account and permit.
If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com, and we'll be glad to help.
Things to Remember When You Carpool
- Carpool vehicles are required to have a FasTrak toll tag to receive the carpool discount on any Bay Area toll bridge, and must use a designated carpool lane to qualify for the discount.
- Stanford Carpool spaces are reserved on weekdays until 10 a.m. for carpools and vanpools with a valid Stanford carpool permit. After that time, or if the carpool spaces are full, your carpool may park in any available space that is valid for your 'A' or 'C' permit type. Please let us know if you find that carpool spaces are consistently full in your area before 10 a.m. We can assess parking utilization and increase enforcement or make adjustments as needed.