Start or Join a Carpool
Carpool parking is free! Share the ride and the savings.
How the Carpool Program Works
Two-person carpools are eligible for a free 'C'-Carpool permit and carpools of three or more are eligible for a free 'A'-Carpool permit.
Two-person carpools that elect to have 'A' carpool permits will will have to pay the difference in price between the 'C' and 'A' permit. Carpools of three or more will receive an ‘A’-Carpool permit but will have the option to park in 'C'-Carpool and 'C' spaces (except at Hoover Pavilion Garage) if they so choose.
Send an email to the Commute Club if you have questions or need assistance.
Forming Your Carpool
Visit our Ridematching page to find Stanford affiliates to share your commute. There are a number of options you can consider to recruit riders.
- Post your carpool on Scoop, a public app that includes Stanford subsidies, for specific days you have seats available.
- Visit Stanford's Carpool and Vanpool Listings page to find other Stanford affiliates to share your commute.
- Post your carpool on the Stanford Staffers or Staffers Village email listservs.
If you have questions about the service, or if it does not lead to a match for you, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We may be able to help identify other alternatives available to you, such as transit and/or biking.
Applying for a Carpool Permit
To get started:
- Check the eligibility of each potential carpool member.
- Form your carpool group in our online portal.
- Apply for a carpool permit using our online portal.
Please refer to the following “how to” pages for step-by-step instructions on how to form your carpool and request a parking permit on our online portal:
- How to Start a Carpool
- How to Join an Existing Carpool
- How to Request a Carpool Permit
- How to Add or Update License Plate Information to Your Account
Each member must enter their information on our online portal when forming the carpool group. Your permit will be valid as soon as you complete the request for your carpool permit.
Things to Remember When You Carpool
- Carpool vehicles are required to have a FasTrak toll tag to receive the carpool discount on any Bay Area toll bridge, and must use a designated carpool lane to qualify for the discount.
- Stanford Carpool spaces are reserved on weekdays until 10 a.m. for carpools and vanpools with a valid Stanford carpool permit. After that time, or if the carpool spaces are full, your carpool may park in any available space that is valid for your 'A' or 'C' permit type. Please let us know if you find that carpool spaces are consistently full in your area.