Stanford Vanpool Subsidy
Stanford Transportation will cover 100 percent of your vanpool lease, and each Commute Club-eligible member* can request up to $300 per year in Clean Air Cash. Additional expenses, such as gas and applicable bridge tolls, are shared by vanpool members.
Please note: All official members of a carpool or vanpool must work/study on the same campus (either at main campus or SRWC). For example, if you are currently in a five-person vanpool, and four people are on campus and one person works at Stanford Redwood City, you would no longer be eligible for the vanpool subsidy. However, the four-person group is still eligible for an ‘A’-Carpool permit as a carpool.
Additional Commute Club Incentives
The vanpool subsidy policy is in addition to existing Stanford Transportation benefits for vanpools, which include all of the following:
- Up to $300 per year in Clean Air Cash for each eligible Stanford vanpool member who joins the Commute Club, plus membership gifts and up to $180 in Zipcar credit.
- One free 'A' Carpool parking permit for each eligible vanpool. Vanpools commuting to Stanford Redwood City will receive a SRWC ‘A’-Carpool permit.
- Pre-tax savings for eligible employees who purchase commuter checks with pre-tax dollars via payroll deduction.
- Free Emergency Ride Home program for eligible vanpool members to ensure they will not be stranded on campus in a personal emergency.
- Option to drive alone occasionally. Eligible vanpool members are allowed to purchase daily permits (by pre-tax payroll deduction if eligible).
- Assistance from Stanford Transportation. Stanford vanpools can request assistance from Stanford Transportation. We can help by conducting targeted outreach to help recruit new vanpool riders and identify additional incentives your vanpool could receive from regional programs.
* To be considered an official Stanford vanpool, a vanpool must comprise at least 50 percent Stanford University employees, students, or Stanford Hospital employees who meet Commute Club eligibility requirements. If the vanpool does not meet this requirement, the vanpool will not be eligible for a free Stanford vanpool permit and other official vanpool benefits. Stanford passengers in the vanpool, however, may apply for Commute Club and Clean Air Cash provided they meet all eligibility requirements.