Start or Join a Vanpool
Want to improve your commute to Stanford? Join a vanpool! They're coming to Stanford from all over the Bay Area. Our rideshare profile page can link you with other Stanford commuters heading your way.
Current Stanford Vanpools:
- Vanpools with five or more Commute Club-members can ride for free with a 100 percent vanpool subsidy.
- Plus, eligible vanpool members can apply for Commute Club to receive up to $300 a year in Clean Air Cash.
- Stanford vanpools receive free premium parking on campus.
Forming your vanpool
If you don't already have your five or more vanpool riders in mind, we recommend that you sign up with on our Carpool and Vanpool Listings page to find potential Stanford affiliates to share your commute.
If you have questions about the service, or if it does not lead to a match for you, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com. We may be able to help identify other alternatives available to you, such as transit and/or biking.
Applying for a vanpool permit
To apply for a vanpool permit, you need to form your vanpool group and request a carpool permit via our online portal. All members of the vanpool must enter their information when forming the group.
Starting a vanpool is the same process as starting a carpool in our online system. For step-by-step instructions, please refer to the following "how to" pages:
At least five vanpool members must meet the eligibility requirement for the Commute Club.
Your permit will be valid as soon as you complete the request for your carpool permit.
How does vanpooling work?
What is a vanpool?
A commuter vanpool is a group of five or more people who commute to and from work in a comfortable passenger vehicle. Stanford offers a 100-percent subsidy for vanpools with five or more members who are eligible for the Commute Club.
You can ride most vanpools on a full-time or occasional basis, whichever fits your schedule. Full-time passengers have reserved seats and ride on a month-to-month basis. Occasional passengers ride on a space-available basis and may pay a set fee per trip, depending on the vanpool group. And if you're the driver, you get free use of the vehicle after-hours!
Benefits for Drivers and Riders:
- Receive a free premium parking permit
- Receive up to $300 per year in Clean Air Cash (if eligible)
- Receive a full subsidy on the vehicle (if eligible), which includes free insurance and maintenance on the vehicle
- Enjoy reduced or free bridge tolls and express-lane access with FasTrak
- Reduce wear and tear on personal vehicles
- Reduce personal auto insurance premiums based on miles driven each year
- Receive personal use of the vehicle on evenings and weekends
- Pick up and drop off passengers at designated site(s)
- Collect payments from passengers to cover monthly gas and toll expenses
- Fill the gas tank
- Keep the van clean
- Arrange for free maintenance
- Pay for gas and toll expenses
- Arrive at pre-arranged pick-up sites on time
- Give a 30-day notice if leaving the vanpool
- Read, sleep, work, surf on a mobile device, or socialize during the commute
In case of an emergency
"What if my child gets sick and I have to leave immediately?"
"What if my vanpool driver has to leave for an emergency?"
"What if my neighbor calls to tell me that my home is on fire?"
What if I need to run an off-campus errand?
Join Zipcar as a Commute Club member, and you will receive up to $102 a year in Zipcar credit.