White Plaza Access
White Plaza Access Protocol
Stanford University’s White Plaza has long been a No Parking Zone, serving as an important student activity space with a high volume of pedestrian and bicycle traffic. The presence of vehicles (whether moving or parked) disrupts student activities and can jeopardize the safety of pedestrians and cyclists. Therefore, vehicle access to White Plaza is restricted.
Single Point of Entry
The single point of entry for authorized vehicle access to White Plaza is a remote-controlled pneumatic bollard near the intersection of Lasuen Mall and Panama Mall to the southeast of the campus Main Quad.
Only authorized vehicles are permitted to access White Plaza.
- emergency service vehicles
- construction (including off-campus maintenance contractor) vehicles - with prior approval by Stanford Transportation
- maintenance vehicles (where the vehicle is required for maintenance) - with prior approval by Stanford Transportation and Maintenance Customer Service. NOTE: WHITE PLAZA IS OFF LIMITS TO MAINTENANCE VEHICLES FROM 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- vehicles actively supporting set-up/take-down, etc. of student events/activities - with prior approval by Stanford's Office of Student Activities and Stanford Transportation
Vehicles making deliveries in the ordinary course of business to buildings around White Plaza are not authorized. For deliveries, loading docks and zones accessible via public access roads are located at buildings around White Plaza (Tresidder Union, Old Union, Stanford Bookstore, Stanford Post Office and Dinkelspiel Auditorium).
For immediate access to White Plaza in the event of an emergency:
- during business hours (8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday-Friday), contact Stanford's Department of Public Safety (650.723.9633).
- during non-business hours, contact the City of Palo Alto Dispatch Center (650.329.2413).
For authorized, non-emergency vehicle access to White Plaza the following steps must be taken:
- Contact the Office of Student Activities (650.723.2733) to request approval.
- Contact Stanford Transportation (650.723.9362) to request a temporary White Plaza vehicle parking permit/identifier.
- Then, with the parking permit/identifier in hand, request a loan of a remote control for opening the Lasuen/Panama pneumatic bollard ($50 deposit required) from the Office of Student Activities
Construction (including off-campus maintenance contractors):
- Contact your Stanford project manager to request written approval (the White Plaza Access Agreement form and a White Plaza Bollard Remote Application).
- With written approvals in hand, contact Stanford Transportation (650.723.9362) to request a temporary White Plaza vehicle parking permit/identifier.
- Upon receipt of a parking permit/identifier, request a loan of a remote control for opening the Lasuen/Panama pneumatic bollard ($50 deposit required) from Stanford Transportation - must provide completed White Plaza Bollard Remote Application.
- Contact your Stanford shop supervisor to request written approval (White Plaza Bollard Remote Application).
- With approved application in hand, contact Stanford Transportation (650.723.9362) to request a temporary White Plaza vehicle parking permit/identifier.
- Then, with parking permit/identifier(s) and an approved White Plaza Bollard Remote Application, request a loan of a remote control for opening the Lasuen/Panama pneumatic bollard from Maintenance Customer Service (650.723.2281).$50 fee if remote control is lost or returned in a damaged condition.
- Agree to follow the Stanford University Traffic and Parking Code (PDF, 255 KB), especially sections 2.2 on Speed Limits, 2.3 on Pedestrian and Restricted Access Zones and 3.4 on Alleys, Fire Lanes and Landscaped Areas.
- Agree to return both (1) the remote control (any deposit will be returned, unless the remote control is returned in a damaged condition) and (2) the parking permit/identifier by the next business day after the final approved day of access to White Plaza.
- Understand that any remote control that is not returned will be disabled so that it will no longer function.