Free and Discounted Stanford Transportation Programs
Please note that the rules and policies of these programs may change without notification to eligible participants.
For all Stanford affiliates
- Free transit on AC Transit’s Line U East Bay express bus (with Stanford ID), Commute.org's Redwood City-Midpoint Caltrain shuttle, and Stanford’s Marguerite shuttle.
- Join Zipcar for the discounted rate of $35 for the first year, with no application fee. Zipcar offers discounted rates and membership fees for Stanford affiliates.
- Car rentals. Hertz rental car is conveniently located on campus in the Stock Farm Garage on the ground floor at 360 Oak Road, Stanford, CA. 94305 and is open Mon- Fri 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m.-12 p.m. Customers can reach them at 650.876.1866. or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Bicycle safety. Free bike safety classes, free bicycle safety repair stands around campus, and online bike registration.
- Free commute (trip) planning. Try our do-it-yourself commute plan/trip request, or ask us to create a custom transit and/or bike plan from your front door to Stanford. Our team members are also available to discuss individual commute options with one-on-one consultations via Zoom.
- Ridematching services. Interested in carpooling or vanpooling? Stanford's ridematching services can help you find other Bay Area commuters going your way.
For eligible commuters
- Free Caltrain (Go Pass), VTA (SmartPass), and East Bay express buses. Free transit on Caltrain with Go Pass and VTA with SmartPass for most benefits-eligible employees. Ride AC Transit’s Line U East Bay express bus for free with a Stanford ID.
- Free AC Transit (EasyPass). Benefits-eligible university and hospital employees living in the East Bay are eligible for the EasyPass. AC Transit serves Alameda and Contra Costa counties as well as the unincorporated areas of Ashland, Castro Valley, Cherryland, El Sobrante, Fairview, Kensington, Irvington, North Richmond, and San Lorenzo.
- Pilot Go Pass programs for postdoctoral scholars. Eligible postdoctoral scholars can receive a free Caltrain Go Pass, which offers unlimited travel on Caltrain between all zones for the calendar year.
- Free SamTrans. Free transit for eligible employees at Stanford Redwood City (SRWC).
- Free Emergency Ride Home program. Any Stanford commuter who uses alternative transportation may enroll in Stanford’s Emergency Ride Home program.
- Savings on transit parking and passes. Most benefits-eligible employees may request pre-tax payroll deduction for purchases of Caltrain parking and selected transit passes, which provides income and FICA tax savings on these purchases.
- And more. Learn about discounted transit, bicycle safety offers, and free commute planning in the preceding “For all Stanford affiliates” section.
Discounts through other organizations
- Discount transit programs for qualified, low-income riders. Clipper START is a pilot program offering 20% to 50% discounts off single-ride fares at participating agencies.
- The Altamont Corridor Express (ACE) offers fare discounts of up to 50% through The Community Assistance Program.
- Both programs have eligibility requirements and are available to anyone, including non-Stanford affiliates.