Free and Discounted Stanford Transportation Programs
Carpool parking is free! Share the ride and the savings. Find this promotion under the “for eligible commuters” section.
For all Stanford affiliates
- Free transit on AC Transit’s Line U East Bay express bus (with Stanford ID), Commute.org's Redwood City-Midpoint Caltrain shuttle, and Stanford’s Marguerite shuttle.
- Join Zipcar for only $15, with no application fee (saving $10 off the normal $25 annual fee for the first year). After the first year, you will be charged the $25 annual fee. Zipcar offers discounted rates and membership fees for Stanford affiliates.
- Car rentals. Enjoy rentals at Enterprise Rent-A-Car’s campus location.
- Bicycle safety. Free bike safety classes, free bicycle safety repair stands around campus, and bike registration for a small fee.
- Free commute (trip) planning. Try our do-it-yourself commute plan/trip request, or ask us to create a custom transit and/or bike plan from your front door to Stanford.
- Ridematching services. Interested in carpooling or vanpooling? Stanford's ridematching services can help you find other Bay Area commuters going your way.
For eligible commuters
- Commute Club. Receive up to $300 per year in Clean Air Cash or a free carpool parking permit plus other rewards by joining the Commute Club for free. Refer a friend to the program and receive $50. Members must be eligible commuters (faculty, staff, students, and others) to Stanford’s main campus.
- Free Carpool Promotion. Eligible commuters to Stanford’s main campus can receive a free ‘A’ or ‘C’ Carpool permit. Two carpool members qualify for a free ‘C’-Carpool permit. Three or more carpool members receive a free ‘A’-Carpool permit.
- Free Caltrain (Go Pass), VTA (SmartPass), and East Bay express buses. Free transit on Caltrain with Go Pass, and on VTA with SmartPass (buses, light rail, and express buses, including Dumbarton Express) for most benefits-eligible employees. Also ride AC Transit’s Line U East Bay express bus for free with a Stanford ID.
- Pilot Go Pass programs for off-campus graduate students and postdoctoral scholars. Eligible off-campus graduate students and postdoctoral scholars can receive a free Caltrain Go Pass, which offers unlimited travel on Caltrain between all zones for the calendar year.
- Free SamTrans. Free transit for eligible employees at Stanford Redwood City (SRWC).
- Zipcar bonus credit. Receive up to $102 per year in Zipcar bonus driving credit if you are a member of the Commute Club in addition to other discounts and promotions.
- Folding bike free rental and subsidy. One week folding bike rental and $100 subsidy toward the purchase of certain models of folding bikes. Must be eligible for the Commute Club. All Stanford affiliates enjoy bike helmet discounts, free bicycle safety repair stands on campus, and free bike safety classes.
- Free Emergency Ride Home program. Any Stanford commuter who uses alternative transportation may enroll in Stanford’s Emergency Ride Home program. Commute Club members are automatically enrolled. Pre-registration is required for commuters who are not members of the Commute Club.
- $10 weeknight car rentals. Campus residents and Commute Club members enjoy $10 weeknight rentals through Enterprise's Weeknight Rental Program.
- Savings on transit parking and passes. Most benefits-eligible employees may request pre-tax payroll deduction for purchases of Caltrain parking and selected transit passes, which provides income and FICA tax savings on these purchases.
- Stanford vanpool subsidy. Stanford vanpools enjoy a 100 percent subsidy and free vanpool parking.
- Daily parking permits. Commute Club members may purchase daily permits and still maintain their Commute Club membership. While there is no limit to how many daily permits a member can purchase each month, members may find it more cost effective to purchase a monthly permit if they are purchasing more than eight permits in a month. Please refer to our permit cost savings table for more information.
- And more. Learn about discounted transit, bicycle safety offers, and free commute planning in the preceding “For all Stanford affiliates” section.